Tuesday 26 July 2011

My installation of Mac OS X Lion

This installation of Mac OS X Lion took my weekend and then some, to figure it all out and get things to work. Making the backup took almost a day. The order of the steps taken is now what it should have been, had I been able to see in the future. I hope these steps can help you to speed up your installation of Lion.

1) I downloaded Lion from the Mac App Store

2) Located it in /Applications, copied it to a backup disk.

3) Right-clicked it and chose 'Show package contents'
   - Opened the Folder 'Contents'
   - Opened the Folder 'SharedSupport'. In there is a file 'InstallESD.dmg'

4) Inserted a 8GB USB Flash Drive into an USB-slot of my Mac

5) Started Disk Utility
   - Selected the USB-flash drive in the bar on the left
   - Selected the pane 'Partition'
   - Chose 1 partition
   - Clicked 'Options' and selected 'GUID table'
   - Partitioned the drive
   - Selected the USB-flash drive in the bar on the left
   - Selected the pane 'Restore'
   - Dragged the USB-flash drive to the field 'Destination'
   - Dragged the 'InstallESD.dmg' to the field 'Source'
   - Clicked the 'Restore'-button
Now I can always boot from the flash drive and (re)install Lion.

6) I deactivated licenses of the following software (advise from OnOne):
   - All OnOne Software tools
   - RapidSearch (just to be on the safe side)

7) Updated the following software:
   - Tuxera NTFS
   - Glimmerblocker
   - Dockstar (Mail plug-in)
   - MailTags (Mail plug-in)
   - Drobo Dashboard
   - FileMaker Pro 6 (PPC-only) to 7 (Universal)
   - EyeTV
   - Perian
   - Flip4Mac WMV
   - ChronoSync and ChronoAgent

8) Removed following apps
   - DivX and 3iVX (Uninstallers are in their respective folders in /Applications)
   - FlagIt! (Mail plug-in) -> uninstalled this, development halts and Lion has now 7 flags of different colors. I also went into System Preferences and uninstalled SpiceShaker and removed the SpiceRack Prefpane since nothing else but FlagIt! was using this.
   - Adobe AIR (removed everything from '/Application Support' and '~/Application Support' folders)
Apple has made the folder 'Library' in the home folder invisible. But I can get to it via SHIFT-CMD-G and by entering the following path '~/library'.

9) Restarted my Mac
At the bongggg, I held down the SHIFT-key until a progress bar appeared: Mac starts in Safe-mode. From our national Apple Doctors (CARD Services) I learned that it is best to install major updates while in 'safe mode'.

10) When logged in, I attached a 1TB backup disk and used Carbon Copy Cloner to backup my Mac OS X startup disk.

11) After the backup had finished, I shutdown the Mac and disconnected all external hard disks, including my Drobo.

12) Started my Mac again in Safe-mode

13) Installed Mac OS X Lion
On my iMac, I simply clicked the Lion icon in the Dock. I booted my MacBook Pro from the USB-flash drive and installed Lion from there.

14) After installation, I let the Macs boot normally and logged in.

15) Performed Software Update; restarted normal

16) Opened 'App Store' from the Dock and downloaded 'Xcode'
   - I installed Xcode by starting 'Install Xcode' in /Applications

17) I rely on FastCGI (for Lasso 9), which is not included in Lion anymore. So I had to restore the file 'mod_fastcgi.so' from the backup disk, made in step 8. The Lion installer also removed the file 'Lasso8ConnectorforApache2.2.so' which is needed for Lasso 8. I copied both of them back. If you need these, you can find them and copy them to '/usr/libexec/apache2/' (same folder as in 10.6)

18) Then, my iPhone was not recognized, because somehow either the Lion or Xcode installers have removed a file call 'usbmuxd' and support files. To get this working again, I had to reinstall iTunes from scratch, like this:
   - Via 'Terminal', deleted iTunes: 'sudo rm -R /Applications/iTunes.app'
   - Next, I followed the steps outlined here: support.apple.com/kb/ht1747
   - Then I downloaded iTunes from Apple's site and installed it.
iPhone is back!

19) Activated the software licenses again (see step 6).

20) If you run Windows in Parallels 6 off a Bootcamp partition, and it won't start with Parallels, do what is described here: http://kb.parallels.com/en/111629

21) And the last thing I did was repair disk permissions via Disk Utility.

22) A restart and back to business.

23)
If QuickTime Player X is behaving strange, like when you click a player's window, you click through it, get rid of old files in the Preferences folder. Open Terminal and type the following exactly as written:
cd ~/Library/Preferences
rm *QuickT*X*