Thursday 15 May 2014

E-Mail to Evernote

A while ago i was looking for a way to shrink my list of mailboxes and the 1000s of mails therein. I already use MailSteward Pro to backup my emails to a remote MySQL server, but that is just in case everything gets lost at Apple's iCloud. Which isn't very likely.

Since my Apple Mail is starting to crash every few days since the latest Mavericks updates and is getting really slow in opening old and getting new mail (although I run on SSD), I am looking for another way to archive old emails and still have the same easy access with all search capabilities. This where Evernote comes in! Googling a bit I found this AppleScript: Apple Mail to Evernote.

The script works perfectly under Mavericks and I added some code to get the date/time in the title of the note. A screenshot of how an email in Evernote looks when my modified version of the script has done its job:

Screen Shot 2014-05-15 at 10.49.19

What you'll miss though is the grouping of the 'Conversation'-view which you have in Apple Mail.

So you can download the original or download my version.

Thanks to Veritrope for this very useful script!